Wednesday 20 June 2018

Game Day #7: Old Wimbledonians - Where's The Beef?


Father’s Day; the perfect day for a nice bit of slow-matured, four year-old, prime beef. Not the beef you can eat in copious amounts at your nearest Toby Carvery, sadly, but the kind of beef anonymous twentysomething rappers indulge in over Twitter and through song lyrics. And, four years ago during this very fixture, I savoured my first – and hopefully, only – taste of cricketing beef as a captain.

Firstly, though, the preparations through the week had been mixed; player numbers, although healthy as always, saw four players I wanted to select for my team drafted in to the other two Sunday teams, the Wolves and the Rhinos. There wouldn’t be any real pace in the bowling attack, and the batting wouldn’t be as ardent as it had been in recent weeks. This left me hoping for two things: that the Old Wimbledonians team we were to face would be the Campions, as they are called, who – from their Play Cricket scorecards – appeared to be nearer to our level. If it was to be the Fishers, their stronger team, I knew we’d be in a bit of trouble, certainly with the ball. Regardless of all that, we would always have our indomitable Boars spirit; that unique part of my team’s DNA that has the ability to endure long stints in the field, chasing the ball, and end the game with a laugh and a shrug of the shoulders.

The Father’s Day present my daughters got me was an unlimited supply of grief and bitchfits; I can’t recall ever hearing the words “Happy Father’s Day” escape from the lips of either of them. No ironic “Beer Hunter” or “Six Pack/Six Gallons” T-shirts that you find every year in supermarkets, that are always code for “My Dad Is A Fat, Lazy, Useless, Out To Seed B****rd”…how I used to chortle, back in the day, when I used to receive those. No Status Quo ‘Greatest Hits’, no ‘Top Gear’ DVD’s, no cards featuring a cricketer playing a dreadful shot. Such is life. All I wanted was a win. Just one win. Is that too much for a fat, lazy, useless, out to seed b****rd to ask for?



And so we made our way to Raynes Park, on what had become an unseasonably cold day; the skies were permanently grey and always threatening to dump a river of rain on us, and the wind was strong and biting. The Boars welcomed a new player called John R, who’d described himself to me as a guy in his forties who can bat and bowl a bit…to which I replied, “you’ll fit in just nicely”. Of the two pitches at Old Wimbledonians I’d hoped to be on the front one – the show pitch – as it is nearest to the clubhouse and has an electronic scoreboard. As soon as we arrived, however, we were pointed to the back pitch – which, upon inspection, was in pretty good nick with plenty of short green patches up and down it, and surrounded by what looked to be generously short boundaries. Seating on such pitches is always something of a rarity, that’s the downside of playing on ‘back’ pitches – you’re open to the elements if you aren’t fully prepared for all eventualities. Freeze or fry – you do what the weather wants you to do.

A familiar face came out as OWCC skipper – Dean, who I’d played against when he was a player for Graces, warmly welcomed us and we went out to do the toss. He knew that we weren’t at our strongest and had made efforts to mix up more of their two teams, which was nice of him to do. For the first time this season, I didn’t want to win the toss as I didn’t know what to do first; with stronger batting I’d have taken first use of the strip, especially when I learned that a certain Will Markham was playing for OW. More on him in a minute, but it would have been a good toss to lose; unfortunately, I won it. That means I’ve won six tosses out of six so far this season, so if nothing else I am the best tosser at Merton Cricket Club. Call me that, and I’ll simply smile and give you the thumbs-up – you aren’t offending me, just stating a fact. At least I’m winning in one respect!

Yes, Will Markham. I was hoping very much that he wouldn’t be playing, simply because he’s one of the best batsman I’ve come across on Sundays. According to Play Cricket he’d scored a hundred the previous week, and four years ago scored 119 against what was a decent Merton team with almost effortless ease. Will is a batsman who isn’t violent or a risk-taker, but strokes the ball for four and never seems to hit the ball too hard. And it was he, unbeknown to him, that was the cause of my beef four years ago. On that day, in 2015, we bowled first with only ten men (nine for thirty minutes, while Richard Ackerman changed his trousers in the car park), and had OW pinned down. Only Will stood tall as we picked away at their top and middle order, who resorted to wild swings for runs and were top-edging the ball to us for catches. The first flashpoint came when Sohaib bowled the only short ball of our innings, but as the pitch was flat it didn’t get above hip-height. The batsman was fifteen years old and playing the bowling well. But that wasn’t good enough for Garfield, their umpire, who came sprinting over to me from square leg full of fire and fury, admonishing me for letting my bowlers bowl bouncers at a kid, as he called him. For a moment I calmly debated the fact it hadn’t been a bouncer, before suggesting that we agree to disagree and get on with the game. Will had been making serene progress until Sohaib had him caught and bowled, on 91, with a low full-toss. A full two seconds after Sohaib takes the catch, the umpire pipes up: “No ball”. It had, according to him, been an above waist-height full-toss. By now I was feeling sore, and after Will had notched his century and added the rest of his runs, he was run out by half the length of the pitch. Not according to the same umpire, who said he thought Will had made his ground. Everyone erupted, including normally-placid characters such as Tony H and Richard, until Will took matters into his own hands and left the pitch of his own accord. And so the innings ended with them on 209 all out and on a pretty sour note; Will, having scored all but 90 of their total runs, had made 28 more runs after his reprieve. The margin of our subsequent defeat? 28 runs. As our final wicket fell, Garfield sprinted over to me as I umpired at square leg and was first to energetically shake my hand. How I didn’t tell him to sod off, I don’t know. Next year, seethed the voice inside my head, next year. Only next year didn’t come; OW only had eight players for the 2016 fixture, and pulled out on the Tuesday. I’d been stoked up, pumped up, I’d drilled the players and wound them up. We would’ve been taking a wrecking ball to Old Wimbledonians; a juggernaut of a cricket team in ability and attitude. Then, it was cancelled. In the time it took to read an email, twelve months of rolling thunder was transformed into a wet fart.

And so all my beef had been consumed by the time this match had started. Upon winning the toss, I decided to field first. I didn’t trust the batting to be as malleable as in recent weeks, so I thought it best that the bowlers got a proper bowl - especially after the previous week’s Southfields blitzkrieg. Sam W and Rob took the new ball and soon discovered that the pitch had absolutely nothing in it for them; Markham and Parker opened the batting and were soon scoring at seven an over. A sharp catching chance came my way at mid-off from Rob’s bowling but I couldn’t hold on to it. The boundaries came briskly as Sam and Rob gave way to Killer and John R, and it was John R – on his Boars debut – who finally got the batsmen guessing. He was getting the ball to turn, and suddenly top-edges were being drawn from both batsmen. Disaster struck when Rob, chasing a ball to the boundary, pulled up limping, and confirmed that his hamstring had gone. The rest of us proceeded to field as if our hamstrings had gone as well, although they hadn’t. Rob had only bowled four of his allotted seven overs and would need a runner while batting.

On the stroke of drinks, and with the score around 150 already, Will went for a big drive and sliced the ball high to where I was fielding. This time I held on, and we had finally broken through. That brought skipper Dean to the crease, and although we managed to slow them down a little over the remainder of the innings they were still scoring at around eight runs per over. Dean was steering the ball both sides of the wicket to the boundary, and respite came when the much-improved Johnny M – with a smoother, sleeker run-up – got Parker to hole out to Sam W at a deepish mid-on. Despite a quick juggle that included the use of his jumper, Sammy held on and “The Steriliser” had cleaned up for his wicket. That was our last breakthrough, as Dean and Rory saw them through to 264-2 after 35 overs, Rory finishing the innings with a six.

We trooped off to the clubhouse chastened and disappointed; our fielding hadn’t been great, resulting in us taking more than two and a half hours to bowl our thirty five overs. In a way, we’ve become the Merton cricket equivalent of FC  Barcelona; they keep the ball on the ground, and so do we – when we’re passing it between ourselves, and back to the bowler. Tiki taka cricket: you don’t see the ball in the air when we’re fielding. Maybe we should start bowling pea-rollers too.

And then we ran into something on the tea table that made us all forget the fetching and carrying we’d just been doing: warm fish finger sandwiches. To say we dived in would be an understatement; we attacked them with the kind of gusto Jack the Ripper used to treat prostitutes with. Like piranha fish stripping a victim to its bones, you could see the pattern of the tray beneath the sandwiches in about twenty seconds flat. Mexico were playing Germany on the big screen, and only those people backing Germany in their assorted sweepstakes didn’t cheer when Mexico scored what turned out to be the only goal of the game. Alas, we lost John R at this point: an emergency meant he had to leave the ground and miss out on batting. It was a shame, as he’d been the pick of the bowlers and had, indeed, slotted in nicely with the Boars.

Richard and I opened the batting, against Baksh and Ali who opened the bowling for OW. Realistically, we weren’t in the game, but that didn’t stop us putting away the bad ball until Ali – fast and bouncy – got a full one to breach The Earl’s defences; a shame, as Richard is in good form this season. We’d put on 27 in even time, and OW had also lost a player to make it ten apiece. Aleem came out to bat and instantly played a cracking pull shot to the boundary, which we were finding quite regularly. We took no chances with Ali’s bowling and saw him off, but now Aran from the other end – after a couple of expensive overs – had found his radar, getting full balls to swing dangerously late both ways. It was he that struck next, getting Aleem out with a carbon-copy of his previous weeks’ dismissal, a bottom edge that lifted the bails from a ball that didn’t get above knee height. Aran then bowled Alex M with a peach; extra bounce pierced Alex’s defence and gently lifted the bails, as delicately as you like, off the stumps. Drinks came and we were 74/3, rattling along at four an over. The pitch held no demons provided you took notice of the bounce; could a couple of extra batsmen have put OW’s score under real pressure?

Aran was well into his rhythm now and bowled The Steriliser and Hassan with identical balls, either side of me bringing up a fifty. I was enjoying a tussle with Ryan; tall and skiddy, getting it to lift into my gloves or forearm, but giving me some half-volleys outside off to drive to the boundary. Sujanan came out and survived some scary moments, and together we added another twenty runs. Scoring was now much harder after Will Markham entered the attack; suddenly, he was getting turn and bounce with no bad balls to take toll of. At the other end, Josh bowled me a half-tracker that kept low; I greedily went to pull it for six, only to top-edge it into my mouth instead. Maybe I’d thought he’d bowled me a pork pie instead. After checking that all of my teeth were still in one piece, I had a rush of blood at Will, hit high enough but not long enough, and departed. The end came shortly after, as 102/5 slid to 103/9 and all out.

And so, another heavy defeat for the Boars. A stronger team would have posted a stiffer challenge, but OW were worthy winners and were a nice bunch as well, and well-captained by Dean. We’ll return there next year, and I was pleased that any lingering bad smells from the 2015 encounter had been expunged and dispersed, and a game of Sunday cricket between two friendly teams had been played without incident or controversy. The beef will simply have to go back in the freezer – for now. There’s always an idiot or two lurking around the corner, and there’s still a lot of the season to go…

No comments:

Post a Comment